The Difficult Task of Erasing Oneself: Non-Composition in Twentieth-Century Art, a lecture given at IAS in 2007. It is also an essay found in October: 143, Abstraction, Winter 2013.
Miscellaneous essays on painting, images etc.
- Marcus Steinweg Lectures given at Gramsci Monument, NY, Summer 2013
- Abstract Painting: The New Casualists by Sharon Butler, June 2011, The Brooklyn Rail
- Acting Out: The AB-EX Effect (abex and disco balls) by Amy Sillman, 2011, Artforum
- Aesthetics of Installation Art by Juliane Rebetisch
- After Art by David Joselit
- In Defense of the Poor Image by Hito Steyerl, e-flux journal #10, 11/2009
“In the same way that you face the questions of painting like you would face dirty laundry or dirty dishes we might actually be forced to think that the really courageous way of encountering the basic structural questions of art are not in this big Hegelian picture of art history as this big machine that constantly works towards the next higher level but its more like the time of domestic affective labor where you clean away that damn dust and you deal with the dirty dishes every day.” (Jan Verwoert, Why are conceptual artists painting again? Because they think it’s a good idea, 2010)
Abstract Painting: The New Casualists
by Sharon Butler, June 2011, The Brooklyn Rail